Tuesday, December 29, 2015

On the Second Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me...

...a trip to a walk-in clinic, followed by a trip to the ER!

As I mentioned yesterday, Jackson threw up out of the blue on Christmas morning, which we assumed happened because he was chewing on his hand (from teething) and wound up gagging himself. It was such a weird thing because he threw up all of his breakfast and then went on playing like nothing happened. Anyway, we didn't think much of it...

...until the next morning when he woke up at 10am acting lethargic.

Brandon, my dad, and brother all went to see the new Star Wars movie early Saturday morning, and my mom, Jax, and I planned to go shopping, but after seeing him acting so strange (laying on the floor just staring at the wall, grabbing his throat, etc.), we decided to take him into a King Soopers walk-in clinic. Lucky for us, we were able to get in right away and the PA prescribed him amoxicillin for a double ear infection and warned us to keep a close eye on him since these things tend to go from bad to worse quickly.

That didn't leave either my mom nor I feeling very confident, but we decided to head home so he could rest and eat homemade chicken noodle soup. Not even two minutes after we left the PA's office, Jackson randomly threw up all over himself, me, and floor near the bakery department. I frantically ran around the store to find my mom and told her something was very wrong (Jax's skin was starting to look different and he seemed so weak) and that I was ready to take him to the ER across the street. My mom agreed and quickly paid for the chicken soup ingredients so we could run home, change, and get our boy a second opinion.

Upon arriving to the emergency room, Brandon texted to say they were on their way home from the movies, so my mom called and told him what was happening and where to meet us. Since we were the only patients in the ER at the time, we were immediately given a room and a doctor to examine Jax/sit down to talk with us.

Long story short, Jackson didn't even have an ear infection (which the doctor seemed very sure of), strep, or anything else like that... He was, however, fighting a tummy bug (which also explained his bought of tummy troubles on the night of his birthday) and was severely dehydrated because of it. Her prescription was alternating Motrin/Tylenol every 4 hours, lots of rest, and LOTS of Pedialyte.

Jackson spent the rest of the afternoon eating Pedialyte popsicles and sleeping, and woke up acting more like himself at around 7pm that evening. While he was napping, my mom and I were even able to sneak out for a little after-Christmas shopping while Brandon and my dad stayed with him. It was exactly what I needed!

(...except that I broke down crying in the middle of Target after the events of the day caught up to me.)

Jax woke up Sunday morning acting like his normal, happy self and has been active ever since! Going to the ER was probably the overreaction of the year, but apparently my mom-game is still pretty weak and I have a lot of things left to learn!

Our 2nd day of Christmas was nothing short of eventful... here's hoping that the rest of the season stays somewhat calm!


1 comment:

  1. Until he's old enough to know how things work and tell you for sure himself whether he needs to go to the doctor, you won't know for sure. Actually, I take that back. I'm 26 and still not always sure about whether I should go to the doc or not! Glad it was just a tummy bug and that he's all good.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs